If you are looking for a timeless fashion accessory that adds elegance and glamour to any outfit, then old fashioned women’s hats are the way to go. These headpieces have been a staple in women’s fashion for centuries and continue to make a statement in the present day. From wide-brimmed hats to cloches and pillboxes, there is a wide range of classic options to choose from that can suit different tastes and occasions. In this article, we will explore some of the most popular old fashioned women’s hat trends that have stood the test of time and remain chic and sophisticated even in modern times.
The History of Old Fashioned Womens Hats
Women’s hats have been around for centuries and have gone through various transformations over time. In the early days, hats were mainly worn for practical purposes such as protection from the sun and cold weather. However, as time passed, hats started to become an important fashion accessory for women.
The Rise of Women’s Hats
Hats were initially designed for men in the 16th century and were worn as a symbol of status. However, as women began to assert their social and political rights in the 19th century, they started to adopt men’s fashion trends, which included hats. Women’s hats became particularly popular during the Victorian era, where they were adorned with ribbons, flowers, and feathers.
The early 1900s saw the rise of the “Gibson Girl” look, which was characterized by a large-brimmed hat that was perched on top of a high hair bun. This look was made popular by American illustrator Charles Gibson and was the trend among fashionable women.
1920s Flapper Hats
The roaring 20s was a time of dramatic change in fashion, and women’s hats were no exception. Flapper hats, characterized by their close-fitting cloche style, became very popular during this era. These hats were heavily embellished and adorned with jewels, feathers, and lace to add glamour and style.
1950s Pillbox Hats
In the 1950s, the pillbox hat became an iconic style. Jacqueline Kennedy, the former first lady, helped make this hat popular when she wore it during her husband’s presidential inauguration. Pillbox hats were typically made of wool or velvet and were designed to sit on top of the head without covering the entire scalp.
The Types of Old Fashioned Womens Hats
When it comes to women’s fashion, hats have been a staple for many centuries. They are not only functional for providing shade, warmth or protection from the elements, but they can also add style and elegance to any outfit. Old fashioned womens hats have a timeless charm that can elevate even the simplest attire. Here are some popular styles of old fashioned womens hats:
The Cloche Hat
The cloche hat is a bell-shaped hat that was popularized in the 1920s. It is typically made of felt and sits low on the forehead, covering the ears and nape of the neck. This hat is perfect for a vintage-inspired look and can be paired with a midi dress or a skirt suit.
The Beret Hat
The beret hat is a soft, round, flat-crowned hat made of wool or felt and is often associated with French fashion. It can be worn tilted to the side or pulled down over the ears. The beret hat looks great with a casual outfit such as jeans, a sweater, and ankle boots.
The Fascinator Hat
The fascinator hat is a small, decorative headpiece attached to a comb or headband. They are often adorned with feathers, flowers, or jewels and were made famous by the British Royal Family. The fascinator can be worn with a cocktail dress or formal attire, adding glamour to any look.
The Fedora Hat
The fedora hat is a brimmed hat that has a pinched front and a wide band around the base. It is commonly made of wool or felt and has been a popular style for men and women since the early 20th century. The fedora looks great with a trench coat and a pair of heels, offering a classic and refined look.
The Materials Used in Old Fashioned Womens Hats
When it comes to women’s hats, the materials used can make all the difference in terms of style, durability, and comfort. Here are some of the most common materials used in old fashioned women’s hats:
Wool is a popular choice for women’s hats, thanks to its warmth, durability, and versatility. It can be knitted or felted into a wide range of styles, from cozy winter beanies to elegant wide-brimmed hats for spring and summer.
- Wool felt hats are made by treating wool fibers with heat and moisture, causing them to mat together and form a dense, sturdy material.
- Wool knit hats are made by hand or machine using yarns of different weights and textures, allowing for a range of patterns and styles.
Felt is another popular material for women’s hats, particularly those with a vintage or old fashioned feel. Made from wool, rabbit fur, or a blend of fibers, felt can be shaped and molded into a variety of styles, from cloche hats to fedoras.
- Wool felt hats are known for their durability and water resistance, making them ideal for cooler climates or rainy days.
- Rabbit or beaver fur felt hats have a finer, softer texture than wool felt, and are prized for their luxurious feel and elegant drape.
Silk is a luxurious and lightweight material that is often used in women’s hats for special occasions, such as weddings, galas, and other formal events. It has a lustrous sheen and drapes beautifully, allowing for delicate, feminine designs.
- Silk hats are often embellished with flowers, ribbons, or lace for an extra touch of elegance.
- Due to their delicate nature, silk hats should be handled with care and protected from moisture and direct sunlight.
By understanding the various materials used in women’s hats, you can find the perfect old fashioned hat to suit your style, climate, and occasion.
How to Choose the Right Old Fashioned Womens Hats for You
Women’s hats have been a symbol of elegance and grace since time immemorial. They add an extra kick to a woman’s sense of style and personality. Now that old fashioned women’s hats are making a comeback, it’s the perfect opportunity to own one for yourself. Choosing one may seem easy, but there are vital things you need to know when picking the style of old fashioned women’s hats.
Consider Your Face Shape
One of the essential things to keep in mind when choosing old fashioned women’s hats is the shape of your face. Not every hat design will suit every woman. Some hat styles can enhance the shape of your face while others can make it appear unflattering. Round-faced women can try hats that have sharp lines to elongate their face. Uniquely-shaped hats with angled brims are ideal for square-shaped faces. Women with oval faces are lucky enough to have the flexibility to wear hats that have different shapes including wide brims, fedoras, and cloches.
Match Your Hat with Your Outfit
The perfect old fashioned women’s hat should not only match the style of your face but also complement your outfit. If you’re wearing a casual outfit, go for casual and relaxed hats like a woven trilby or a bucket hat. On the other hand, dressier outfits require a more formal hat like an elegant pillbox or a cloche with a flower embellishment. Do not be afraid of experimenting while keeping in mind that all hat and outfit combinations should work harmoniously rather than competing for the center of attention.
Choose Based on Occasion
The right old fashioned women’s hat can also depend on the occasion you intend to wear it to. For weddings and formal events, it is advisable to go for classic styles like an elegant fascinator, a chic pillbox, an embellished cloche or a timeless wide-brimmed hat. Outdoor events can be more flexible with a relaxed sun hat, a floppy hat, or a bucket hat. However, an essential reminder is to choose a hat that you are comfortable with and matches the event’s dress code.
Where to Buy Old Fashioned Women’s Hats?
Now that you have an idea of the old fashioned women’s hat styles that will work best for you, it’s time to get your hands on one. From local boutiques, vintage stores to online shopping websites, the options are limitless. You can try searching for specialty hat stores like BeChic Hats or online vendors, including Amazon, Etsy, and eBay. You can also look into popular brands like Goorin Bros., Brixton, and Bailey Hats.
The Role of Old Fashioned Womens Hats in Modern Fashion
Old fashioned women’s hats have been around for centuries and have been an important part of women’s fashion throughout the years. Although they have gone in and out of fashion, they are currently experiencing a resurgence in today’s fashion world. Here, we’ll explore the reasons behind the comeback of old fashioned women’s hats and how you can incorporate them into your wardrobe.
Why Old Fashioned Womens Hats Are Making a Comeback
There are several reasons why old fashioned women’s hats are coming back into fashion:
- The popularity of vintage fashion: Vintage clothing and accessories have seen a surge in popularity in recent years, and old fashioned women’s hats are no exception.
- Emphasis on sustainability: With the focus on sustainability and reducing waste in the fashion industry, consumers are looking for timeless pieces that they can keep and wear for years to come.
- Unique style: Old fashioned women’s hats add a touch of sophistication and uniqueness to any outfit.
Incorporating Old Fashioned Womens Hats Into Your Wardrobe
Wearing old fashioned women’s hats can be intimidating for some, but there are many ways to incorporate them into your style:
- Choose the right style: There are many different styles of old fashioned women’s hats to choose from, including fedoras, cloche hats, and pillbox hats. Choose a style that complements your face shape and personal style.
- Pair with modern pieces: To avoid looking like you’re wearing a costume, pair your old fashioned women’s hat with modern pieces such as a blazer and jeans or a leather jacket and boots.
- Wear to special occasions: Old fashioned women’s hats are the perfect accessory for weddings, horse races, and other special occasions.
- Experiment with color: Don’t be afraid to experiment with bold colors and patterns when it comes to old fashioned women’s hats. They can add a pop of color to any outfit.
- Accessorize with other vintage pieces: To complete your vintage look, pair your old fashioned women’s hat with other vintage accessories such as a brooch or scarf.
Old fashioned women’s hats are a timeless and elegant accessory that can add a touch of sophistication to any outfit. With the right styling, anyone can incorporate them into their wardrobe and take part in this fashion trend that is here to stay.
Caring for Your Old Fashioned Womens Hats
Old fashioned women’s hats are an elegant accessory that never goes out of style. To ensure that they remain timeless and elegant for years to come, it is essential to take care of them properly. Here are some tips to help you store, clean, and maintain your old fashioned women’s hats:
Storing Your Hats
The way you store your hats is essential to keeping them in good condition. When not wearing your hat, it is best to store it in a cool, dry place where it won’t be exposed to sunlight or dampness. Here are some specific tips for storing different types of hats:
- Felt Hats: Store felt hats in a hatbox to prevent them from getting crushed. You can also stuff the inside of the hat with tissue paper to help it maintain its shape.
- Straw Hats: Store straw hats in a hatbox as well. You can also use acid-free tissue paper to stuff the inside of the hat and help it keep its shape.
- Cloche Hats: Cloche hats can be hung on a hat stand or hook, but make sure they are not exposed to direct sunlight.
Cleaning Your Hats
Cleaning your old fashioned women’s hats is essential to keep them looking good over the years. However, you need to clean them according to their specific materials to avoid damaging them. Here are some cleaning tips:
- Felt Hats: To clean felt hats, use a soft-bristled brush to remove dust and dirt. Avoid using water on felt hats, as it can cause them to shrink or lose their shape. If you need to remove stains, you can use a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a cloth to dab the stain gently.
- Straw Hats: To clean straw hats, use a soft brush to remove dirt and dust. If your hat is really dirty, you can use a damp cloth to wipe it down gently. Avoid getting the straw wet, as it can cause it to shrink or become misshapen.
- Cloche Hats: To clean cloche hats, use a soft brush to remove dirt and dust. You can also use a damp cloth to wipe down the hat gently. Avoid getting the hat wet, as it can cause it to lose its shape.
Maintaining Your Hats
Finally, maintaining your old fashioned women’s hats is essential to keep them looking great for years to come. Here are some maintenance tips:
- Handling: When handling your hat, be sure to hold it by the brim and avoid touching the crown to prevent it from getting misshapen.
- Rainy Weather: If you get caught in the rain with your hat, stuff it with tissue paper to help it keep its shape and let it air dry away from direct heat or sunlight.
- Refreshing: If your hat is looking a little tired, you can refresh it by steaming it over a pot of boiling water. This will help restore its shape and give it a new lease on life.
With these tips in mind, you can enjoy your old fashioned women’s hats for many years to come.
Frequently Asked Questions
|What are some of the old-fashioned women’s hat trends that are still in style today?||Some timeless women’s hat trends include fedoras, cloches, berets, and pillbox hats.|
|Can women of all ages wear old-fashioned hats?||Absolutely! Women of all ages can rock a classic hat and add a touch of elegance to their look.|
|How do I know which hat style suits me best?||It’s important to try on different hat styles and see which one complements your face shape and personal style best. A trusted friend or salesperson can also offer their opinion.|
|Can I wear an old-fashioned hat with modern clothing?||Absolutely! Pairing an old-fashioned hat with modern clothing can create a unique and striking look. It’s all about finding the right balance.|
|How can I take care of my old-fashioned hat?||It’s best to store your hat in a cool, dry place and avoid exposing it to direct sunlight and moisture. Use a soft brush to remove any dirt or dust, and reshape the hat with steam if necessary.|
|Where can I find old-fashioned women’s hats?||You can find old-fashioned women’s hats at vintage shops, hat boutiques, and online retailers.|
Thanks for visiting, and keep on hatin’!
We hope you enjoyed reading about the timeless elegance of old-fashioned women’s hat trends! Don’t forget to check back soon for more fashion tips and tricks. Until next time, keep on hatin’!